Written by Emily
We talk a lot about joy on this blog. Mary writes a wonderful column on it! I thought I would share some of the things that I think “joy” means. Please feel free to add some more in the comments as I would really like to have another post with reader comments about what joy means!
1. Joy is being happy when others are happy.
2. Joy is receiving the Eucharist every Sunday at Mass. It was even more joyful my first time just a few months ago
3. ”This is the true JOY in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.”
– George Bernard Shaw
4. Joy is seeing someone get married to the love of their life.
5. Joy is seeing someone’s new baby for the first time.
6. Joy is meeting a new friend.
7. Joy is seeing something good happen in the world.
8. Joy is coming home to your family after a long day.
9. “Joy is prayer – Joy is strength – Joy is love – Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls.”
10. Joy is making a difference in someone’s life, whether it be big or small.
One day we will stand before him and he will say to us “Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ (Mt. 25:21). Because of our faithfulness in serving God is going to give us eternal joy. For now, this joy involves faith 1 Pet. 1:8-9: “whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith– the salvation of your souls.”
What does joy mean to you?